'One of Satta's very remarkable achievements was the creation of a race of modern, mass-produced motor cars which, depending on the model, retain or improve upon the competition-bred thoroughbred qualities of Alfa Romeos of the artisan past.' - Griffith Borgeson, 'Alfa Immagini e Percorsi', 1985.
By the time of the Giulia's introduction in 1962, Alfa Romeo's highly successful 'small car, big performance' formula, begun by the Giulietta in 1954, was well established. The Giulia is one of Alfa Romeo's many imaginative and successful designs produced under the aegis of Dr Orazio Satta Puglia, the company's esteemed Central Director. It was Satta who brought high-volume production to Alfa Romeo with the Giulietta, thereby ensuring the company's future.
Alfa's classic twin-cam four was downsized to 1,290ccc for the Giulietta, gaining an alloy cylinder block in the process. The original Bertone-styled Sprint Coupé was soon joined by Berlina (saloon) and Spider (open) versions, and then in 1957 came the model now recognised as the ultimate Giulietta - the Sprint Speciale – which was the first of the new 101-Series cars. Built on a slightly shorter wheelbase than the standard Sprint, and again the work of Bertone, the mouth-wateringly curvaceous 'SS' came with 100bhp on tap, a five-speed gearbox, and a top speed of 125mph. Compact, aerodynamically efficient and very powerful for its size, the SS proved highly successful in 1,300cc class racing the world over.
Outwardly almost indistinguishable from the outgoing Giulietta, the Giulia version boasted front disc brakes and a more powerful (112bhp) and much less fussy 1,570cc version of Alfa's classic twin-cam four. Other notable improvements over the Giulietta version included a redesigned dashboard with additional instrumentation. Only 1,399 of the Bertone-bodied Giulia Sprint Speciales were built up to 1965, and today this rare model is highly prized by Alfa Romeo connoisseurs. The Giulia SS offered here is a particularly rare right-hand drive example, only 25 of which - it is estimated - were produced. Delivered new to the UK, the Alfa was first registered on 22nd January 1963 and retains its original registration. Documentation on file shows that the car underwent a long-term restoration while in the possession of Mr Jeremy Upsall before being sold to Mr Sean Costello in 2010. It was then almost immediately sold on to Mr John Hewitt in Warwickshire. The aforementioned file contains invoices and correspondence detailing the many thousands of pounds spent on renovation and maintenance with specialists including Alfaholics and Classic Alfa, plus a complete interior re-trim by Messrs TA and JM Coburn. Since the restoration's completion, a mere 1,075 miles have been covered.
The current vendor purchased '7925 PK' at a UK auction in March 2015, since when it has been serviced and maintained by his own in-house mechanic. Additional documentation consists of six expired MoT certificates and a V5C registration document. A beautiful limited edition Alfa Romeo, this rare Bertone-styled jewel would enhance any private collection.